Flour - 420 ml - 1.75 cups
White sugar - 60ml - 4 tbsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Baking powder - 2 1/2 tsp
Cheddar cheese – 240 ml -1 cup (shredded)
Egg - 1 (Beaten)
Milk - 240 ml - 1 cup
Vegetable oil -80 ml -1/3 cup
Mixed Italian herbs – 2 tsps
Chilli flakes - 1 tsp
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Grease lightly and flour a loaf pan (9X5 inch)
3. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients including seasoning thoroughly, excluding cheese
4. Reserve some shredded cheese and mix the balance with the flour mixture lightly
5. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, add milk, oil and beat well.
6. Add the flour/cheese mixture to the egg mixture and stir lightly until all the dry powder is blended.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan.
8. Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top to cover the entire loaf.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
10. Remove from oven and cool well before slicing.
1. Quantity of sugar may be adjusted to individual taste.
2. Caramelised onion can be added to the batter for a variation
3. Jalapeno pieces can be substituted for chilli flakes for a different taste.